Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cesar Chavez The Forgotten Hero

As a young Latino boy growing up in South Texas one would think that we would learn a lot about our Latino history.  This was not the case for my education.  We may have gone over a couple chapters of the influence Latino’s had, but I really do not remember ever going over any history regarding Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers.  Everything I knew about this topic was from stories my parents had told me.  When given an opportunity to search for a speech or article of interest for a rhetorical analysis, I felt that researching and analyzing a speech from Cesar Chavez would be helpful on my terms.  I would be able to learn more about this history and I will also be able to throw in some of my personal experiences. 

“They are responding not to picket lines and leafleting alone, but to the high-tech boycott of today, a boycott that uses computers and direct mail and advertising techniques, which has made- - which has revolutionized business and politics in recent years.”

Sections-  This quote will be grouped in a section labeled “A change is underway”

Devices-
            I found this to be a parallelism device with the word boycott.  Boycott was used twice in similar forms.  Speaking of the way boycotts are used today, then mentioning how they have improved for the future.

Facets of the text-
            Computer, direct mail – future, sophisticated
            Business and politics- serious matter

“The other trend that gives us hope is the monumental growth of Hispanic influence in this country.”

Sections- “Growth of Hispanics as well as influence”

Devices-pun- monumental
            This quote uses PUN as its rhetorical device.  The word Monumental generally signifies something that has or will become an actual monument.  Being as growth cannot be a monument, the word monument is a pun.

Facets of the text-
            Trend- fad?  Something that may be worn out later?
            Monumental growth- making history with Hispanic growth

“Today the growers are like a punch-drunk old boxer who doesn’t know he’s past his prime.”

Sections- I would place this quote under the section “Farm Growers lack of Evolution”

Devices- alliteration- punch drunk old boxer
            This quote is a hyperbole because Cesar Chavez exaggerates how “old school” the growers really are.  It is also an alliteration because of the way “punch drunk old boxer” mesh so well. 
                       
Facets of the text-
            Punch-Drunk= Fighting under an influence or fighting sloppily

No comments:

Post a Comment