Friday, September 16, 2011

Phones "R" Us

    Mobile phones have become more than a device in which we simply place phone calls or send text messages.  The mobile phones of today can check you in to your favorite bar on northgate, establish a skype video chat with your parents, or capture a photo of the crazy man on campus.  Anything you can imagine, these newer models of cell phones can probably do it. 
    
    For the last three years I have become a major Android enthusiast.  I read and research the latest mobile technology daily.  After watching countless videos over phone reviews I began to take notice of similarities in each video.  Every video had the same basic layout, but the similarities are covered up with the extra fluff the speaker is presenting.  In the videos I am analyzing they each had three main points.  They all used the reference to latest technology, staying connected with friends and family, and portability and fast use.

    In video one, the speaker is comparing the HTC EVO 3D and the Samsung Nexus S 4G, both phones on similar wireless carriers.  In this video the reference to latest technology is extremely heavy.  A couple minutes into the video and the speaker has mentioned many times how the EVO 3D is equipped with the latest technology known to man.  This technology is its 3D capability.  This is relevant to consumers because it makes them believe that what they might purchase is the latest and certainly not outdated.  That is certainly true because I fall victim to always wanting the latest piece of technology.  The speaker in the video is killing the claim of having the latest technology.  Everything that he is reporting is somehow the latest.  Whether he is mentioning the operating system or the applications pre-set on the phone.  What I found to be funny was that the same speaker mentioned the same things in the other videos I analyzed.  The other videos also had the latest camera or the newest keyboard.

    Video two, stressed staying connected with family and friends to the max.  Video two was another phone comparison that involved the HTC Status, which is considered THE FACEBOOK PHONE.  In this video review the speaker stresses how the phone will keep you connected with your friends and family a lot better than any other device out there.  With the push of one button anything you want can be shared instantly.  Literally one button.  I know a good amount about phones and I can assure you that this Facebook phone sucks.  However, the speaker failed to mention that in the review.  He spent most of the time discussing how this awesome keyboard was great and how easy it made staying connected through Facebook.  The other videos also stressed the importance of staying connected.  Their approaches were different and not as heavily stressed as this video.  The other videos discussed different ways of staying connected, but since Facebook took over the world I figured I’d discuss this video with everyone.

    Finally, the last video really emphasized speed.  The speed of the phone’s processor and  wireless carrier were greatly discussed in this video review.  In the other videos this was briefly mentioned, but was not in the detail as this video.  The video review was another phone comparison between two Motorola phones, one for Sprint PCS and the other for Verizon Wireless.  In the previous reviews I have seen they try to stay away from comparisons of wireless companies, but this video failed to do so.  The speaker spent a lot of time mentioning how fast the Verizon phone was.  He even recorded a test of the phone’s download and upload speeds through the wireless data.  Obviously we live in a world where we all want to go as fast as possible, the speakers uses this to his advantage and kills it. 

    All of the videos mentioned share speed, staying connected with family and friends, and having the latest technology.  The speaker uses each of these selling points to the max whether they are true or not.  I’ll leave you with this last note…Next time you plan on purchasing phones don’t fall for all the selling points, just try the phone out for yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment